Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Vase


This tiny vase stands all of four fingers tall.  Before any of my babies were born, I imagined what life would be like to be a mom.  I imagined what the house would sound like with two babies at the end of the hall.  How would it smell?  How would it look?  Would there be 'life' in the air when you walked through the front door?  How would it change when they were 7 years-old versus when they were 7 days? 

My whole life I wanted to be a mom.  Everything else came second to that one desire.  As I walked through a fair one afternoon with my mom, my belly beginning to show the growth of two tiny people inside, I came across a vase so small all it could possibly hold would be a single dandelion.  I began to dream about my two little babies growing up to be toddlers and bringing me their precious dandelion bouquets from the yard and I knew I would be taking that miniature glass jar home.

I pulled my vase out again this week when my growing-up-too-fast 4 1/2 year-old-last-baby brought tiny blue bells clutched in her dimpled hand to me with a proud, chocolate-smudged face.  I gushed over how pretty they were and told her I had just the spot to show them off.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...