Wednesday, October 24, 2012

when blood is thicker


Monday the boys clammered into the van after Read Right Run practice.  "Mom," Meiners whined.  "Today T made me be buddies with him and I wanted to be buddies with my friend."

I paused to inhale a big breath.  My Wednesday small group ladies have been devouring Lysa Terkeurst's book Unglued, and this could definitely become one of those destructive meltdown mommy moments if I wasn't careful.  First of all, that whole whining thing?  It immediately shoves me angrily plummeting over the rocky ledge.  But loyalty to family is a trait we constantly impress upon our children and here was my son bucking that concept.  Boldly.

"Son," I exhaled.  "I don't care what friend or what girl is on whatever team or space you are in from here to eternity."  I began.  "When your brother asks you to help him by buddying up, you buddy up.  Period. The end."

I don't suppose this concept flies everyone's kite out in the world, but that is how this family rolls. 

Two hours later, I sat in the van in the driveway of T's violin teacher with the two little kids.  The radio played; the rain poured; I may or may not have taken a nap.  Apparently, the lights of the van were left on.  When I turned the key in the ignition to take us all home, there was a *click click click.*   And then there was nothing.

My brother- and sister-in-law live just around the corner from violin lessons.  We live a long way from there.  I called my sister-in-law and, within a few minutes, her husband was on his way to save us from our cul-de-sac nightmare.

Later, as we drove home, my boys marveled at how blood really is thicker than water.

Thanks, Uncle Michael, for saving the day ~ and for giving your nephews a nice little object lesson.  You're a family hero!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...