Sunday, August 21, 2011

What I learned from my high school reunion

Early in August, Hubs and I spent a weekend in Kansas City again - this time sans kids.  We went for my high school reunion.

me and my cutie ready to go!
I have been anticipating this event, like, forever.  High School was my all-time favorite school experience.  John says college is his, but I. Loved. High School.  (That may be the reason why I still love all 3 versions of High School Musical, most of the squeaky clean Disney shows, anything teen romance, etc. etc. etc.  I'm a sucker for that stuff.)

that's my signature - 20 years ago - smack in the middle of the tarp someone saved just for this night!
how surreal is that?  and I still make my smiley faces that exact same way to this day.  who knew?
So the fact that it was coming this summer nearly made me giddy.  It probably would have actually made me giddy, but everyone I knew in high school - really knew - wasn't coming.  I was bummed.  I decided to stick to my guns and attend regardless.  I didn't hear from one or two key people, so I held out hope that they would make it.  And I knew that no matter what, it would be a nice night out with my husband - who can literally talk to anyone - so I bought the dress, paid for the tickets, booked the room, and off we went.

My 20 year high school reunion was an evening to remember.  Not so much in the way I thought it would be, but I learned something pretty valuable.  At least to me.  I learned that people really don't change much, and yet we're all much more than we were two decades ago.  Fundamentally, we were still the same people we were in 1991 - just better versions of our younger selves - I mean sure, some are a bit rounder, more with facial hair, real jobs, that sort of thing.  It probably seems like a small discovery.  But for whatever reason, the realization that time marched on and we grew up along with the tide of time was incredibly enlightening, a bit humbling, and a whole dose of wonderful.


friends from 20 years ago
Now, if I could only convince my kids of the wisdom that 20 years provides.  That hairstyles come.  And go.  (Thankfully!)  And they don't make you who you are.  Neither do your clothes.  Or the house you lived in.  I want to tell them that the 'nerdy' kid on the bus or the playground or in the seat near you is a) not 'nerdy' and b) will totally grow into those ears and c) will probably be making way more money than the rest of of the class combined.  Oh and he will totally marry a hot chick.  I want them to know that friends are more important than romance at their age.  The girl that *hates* you today?  Will turn out totally cool and fun to be around.  And no matter what?  No matter what - "You are kind.  You are smart.  You are important."  (from the movie The Help.)

Thank you, LSHS Class of 1991, for the lessons, the memories, and an over-all wonderful evening.

~k
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...