Monday, December 8, 2008

Simplify

This word - Simplify - greets me as I open the door to my hall closet. Simplify. One doesn't need 27 towels in 28 colors crammed into a space fit for, well, let's be honest - about 5 towels and 6 washcloths. That's what it simply reminds me. One just doesn't.

One doesn't need 7 boxes of Christmas decorations in a house that fits two per room, either. One doesn't need Christmas aplenty.

I don't know what it is about this time of my life. This time in my life of plenty. Plenty of mouths to feed. Plenty of homework to check. Plenty of soap scum lining my shower. Plenty of sleepless nights. Plenty of toys. Already. Plenty. Anyone have a sign in their linen closet that says 'Plenty?' Anyone?


Simplify.


He came to us as a baby. He came to us in a manger. A smelly, slobbery, nasty feed trough.
And He simply loved us enough to do it.




This year I've left most of my decorations in boxes. I've left most of the toys at the store. I've left this on my shelf, an almost...bare...shelf. As a reminder.
That He simply is.
So that I might simply be.



In Him,
Karin
When the song of the Angels is stilled,
When the Star in the sky is gone,
When the Kings and the princes are home,
When the Shepherds are back with their flock.
The work of Christmas begins.
To Find the lost - to Heal the broken - to Feed the hungry
To Release the prisoner - to Rebuild the nations -
To Bring Peace among brothers and sisters -
To make music in the Heart.

~Howard Thurman.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...