Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Ballerina Birthday Cake

For Sashi's birthday cake, I really wanted to do something special.

For the better part of the last six months, every time I put her down for a nap, Sash would ask, "Why do I have to take a nap?"

"Because you are three," I consistently answered.
This always initiated a sweet exchange of ideas about what one does when one is three, versus, say, when one is four. So, when Sash turned four, she was under the misguided impression that she no longer needed to take naps.
She also knew that four meant taking ballet.

Now, when Pooks was 2 or 3, she took ballet. But, agree with me here - the baby of the family doesn't always get what the bigger kid got {and vice versa} and we (I) just never signed Sashi up for dance lessons. {Bad Mommy.}

But, for her birthday, we gave her (hand-me-down) ballet slippers and dance gear, ...along with some really cool photo albums of all her previous birthdays.
Here...Li'l Roo is perusing one said birthday book at the family party:


So, back to the ballet story. And cake.

I knew I wanted to do something special for Sashi's birthday cake, so I decided to make her a ballerina. My friend Melissa at A Little Loveliness once said that every girl deserves at least one Barbie cake.

This was Sashi's year.

And my very first attempt.

After perusing the web, I felt ridiculously incompetent to make a Ballerina Barbie cake.

And my first attempt failed. Yes, after baking my bowl for over an hour, when I went to flip the cake out, cake batter came pouring out of the center. At 1AM.

Fail.

Here's what we bought the next morning:


Pretty.



Here's what their faces looked like when they ate that totally-healthy-and-surely-good-for-you-flourescent frosting:




Second attempts at the ballerina cake went a little better. Mostly. And just to prove it, here's Sashi's face when she saw her Ballerina cake in the fridge:



And here it is in all it's purple ballerina-esque glory:



Not tooooo bad for a first attempt. And frosting that wasn't supposed to be refrigerated before piping it.

I learned a lot. And Sashi loved it.

That's all that matters.



~Karin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...