Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Cream Cheese Mints...A Love Affair


Aaaah, those cream cheese mints. A taste. Of my youth. Oh, how I love thee, let me count the ways!

For every important party my mom has ever been a part of in my life, she has made me these divine symbols of her love. Truly, they melt, calorie by calorie, into your mouth. With just the hint of mint, a creamy-sugary-heavenly taste sensation. I kid you not.

My sister-in-law is allergic to dairy products. It's truly a shame. Because if she weren't, she'd be able to partake in these lovely delicacies with me at her upcoming baby shower...wait a minute. Maybe dairy allergies are a blessing. How, you might ask? A blessing to me, that is, that I can eat these yummy treats all by myself (other shower guests, consider yourselves forewarned.)!



So, in case you are ever in need of a sweet little tasty bite of Heaven at your next function, here's the recipe, straight out of Betty Crocker's Bible. I mean Cookbook:

1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened


1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract


3 cups sifted powdered sugar


Few drops food coloring


Sugar

Stir together softened cream cheese and peppermint extract. Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring til smooth. "(Knead in the last of the powdered sugar with your hands)"



Here's what that looks like:




Oh, yeah. We're keeping it real. I'm pretty sure she washed before this picture was taken. At least right before, anyway.

Add food coloring. Knead to evenly distribute food coloring.

Form cream cheese into 3/4 inch balls (depends on the size of your mold), roll in sugar. That looks like this:





Um, I'm pretty sure about his hands...


Sprinkle candy molds lightly with sugar and press 3/4 to 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture into mold for each mint. Remove from molds.



Cover mints with paper towels. Let dry overnight. Store tightly covered in the fridge. Makes 48-60 mints.

Look at those mints. They're like little soldiers. All lined up for duty in my mouth. I bet if you covered them in chocolate, they'd taste like a Junior Mint. Only Better. Too bad my SIL's allergic to chocolate, too. Bless her heart.

Take a look at this Heavenly Delicacy that might rival my minty treats. Or not! ( http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2007/12/red-velvet-cake-balls.html )

Anyway, bears repeating that pic one last time. Just for the taste buds among us.





Blessings,

The Roost'er

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...